This blog was created as a manner of documenting the different C.A.S (Creativity, Action, Service) activities I will be doing during the two year I.B curriculum.

mardi 28 septembre 2010

1st Session with Octavio - Service

Activity : Helping Octavio
Area: Service
Time Spent : 1 hour and a half

Today, I had my first experience taking care of Octavio, the little autistic boy I am helping through the Autisme Ecole Vers L'Ecole. It was also my first time meeting Octavio. I was very nervous as I have never encountered/spent time with a person who suffers from autism and was scared this lack in experience would put Octavio and I in an uncomfortable position. The session began with a bit difficulty. I could tell that Octavio felt slightly uncomfortable, which caused him to close any communication through his "Tics" (using/rubbing small objects and scratching paper). Although, after a short while, Octavio quickly became more comfortable and we started playing a variety of games (slides, stories, tea-room, etc...) in which I discovered a sweet and energetic little boy. Although his speaking skills are little (enough to express what he'd like to do), Octavio is very comfortable with physical contact and even appreciates it (asks and enjoys hugs and tickles). By the end of the session, I felt like the relationship with Octavio had already improved. I am looking forward to the sessions to come (which I will be documenting through this blog)...

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire